Wednesday, 20 November 2013

Elizabethan and Contemporary Pattern and Decoration

After our Lash Deco Workshop, I was really interested in incorporating some kind of intricate detail or pattern into my look, not only because I was inspired by the abstract look it created during the PAPERSELF workshop, but also because the Elizabethan always had interesting and eye catching patterns incorporated into their looks.  The patterns were mainly focused on the clothing, but they also came from the jewellery they wore, and even the headpieces.  The lashes I received actually slightly reminded me of the style of Elizabethan pattern, with the swirly shapes and small details, however they also had more contemporary elements such as the bows. 



Polka Dot Pop PAPERSELF Lashes



Traditional Elizabethan Clothing

Image Credit: Women's Fashions. 2013.( Online) Available at: http://www2.springfield.k12.il.us/schools/springfield/eliz/womensfashion.html. Accessed 18 November 2013.

As you can see in the image above of the traditional Elizabethan dress, they used a lot of detail to decorate their gowns and various other outfits.  These included swirly patterns, and almost paisley kind of prints.  After researching their kinds of clothing previously in portraits of Queen Elizabeth also, then going onto using PAPERSELF lashes, this really inspired me to add some more detail into my design, that reflected the Elizabethan way of decoration, but created in a contemporary way.  By adding small details onto the face, this will still create my desired soft, elegant look.


Contemporary Use of Pattern on the Face
Image Credit: Pinterest. 2013. (Online) Available at: https://www.pinterest.com/source/eyeshadowlipstick.com/. Accessed 20 November 2013.



Detail around the eyes.


Image Credit: Lace pattern by Leanne Lim-Walker | Makeup Inspiration - Artistic. 2013. (Online) Available at: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/253679391484141825/. Accessed 20 November 2013.

I found the images above really interesting as the portray a modern way of using pattern on the face, unlike the Elizabethans who used pattern to decorate their clothing, today we can use pattern in a much more abstract way, to decorate anything that we want.  The first look shows much heavier detail than I would like to use in my final designs, but gives an idea of how we are not afraid of experimenting and pushing the boundaries with pattern in the modern world, many people decorate their bodies as a way to express themselves.  Furthermore, I especially liked the second image, the use of the soft lace detail around the eye area creates an aesthetically pleasing look.  This has encouraged me further to use decoration around the eyes, maybe not with lashes as experimented in the Lash Deco workshop, but maybe over the brows.  I feel this will work best with my hair design which I am incorporating ribbon into, to create a well rounded look, that flows throughout. 

No comments:

Post a Comment